Sunday, December 9, 2012

100% Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

I really am not that big a fan of pizza..I know I know who doesn't like pizza..Me? :P
There is nothing to not like about a pizza, there's bread with tomato sauce topped with Vegies (that I love) and yet topped with cheese..that gooey bubbly goodness you bite into which melts in your mouth with the chewy crust..ummm tastes awesome...but I am still not a fan. I guess the white flour crust with mozarella leaves me feeling very bloated..sorry don't mean to taint your pizza eating experience, but coming from a family where we ate only homemade Indian healthy and light food, I think I am just not cut to process pizza. Ohhh, you must think Indian food and light??? Yeah, everyday meals in India usually do not involve heavy creamed entrees and naans...or at least not at my place. Being a working Mom and a staunch believer of coking from scratch, Mom made plain Rotis and all kinds of quick vegetables everyday. I think the heaviest we went were special, once in about 6 months Sunday breakfast, my Grandma's delicacy "Dal & Pakwaan." Dal is lentil entree made from 'Chana Dal or Bengal gram' that you can easily find in Indian grocery stores...will share that recipe soon..its very light and healthy. Pakwaan on the other hand is all-purpose flour dough knead with mostly oil, rolled into medium sized tortillas and then deep-fried in oil, much like the crispy Mexican tostada bowl crusts. Nostalgia...anyways...back to the present day!
Mu hubby on the other hand loves pizza...yeah I am the abnormal one :D. Anyways, I don't have pizza and poor thing does not bite into one either..he feels guilty to consume all those calories..well so I thought let's try making a whole wheat pizza at home. After all gotta give him some love back for surprising me with my very own new shiny Red Kitchen Aid for my birthday...he is a sweetheart ;)
I couldn't believe the happiness on his face when I announced "Let's make pizza tonight"...he quickly picked up his phone and started making a list of veggies he is going to get for toppings..LOLL
While he dashed out to fulfill the toppings list..I followed the below recipe to make the whole wheat dough for the crust. I skimmed through a lot of recipes, but this one was really easy to put together, is ready in less than 2 hours and is ideal for an impromptu announcement of "Let's make pizza tonight"...HAHAHAHA
Also, I used regular 100% whole wheat flour I use for making Rotis at home and can find easily at my local Indian grocery store. I really wanted to test my regular wheat flour that I always have on hand in abundance :)
Thank You Stephanie (aka girlversusdough) for sharing the original recipe. This is the best pizza crust ever. I am going to have friends over during Holidays, and I am sure to serve this pizza on one of my get togethers. This is definitely Growling Tummies approved!!! :)
100% Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Ingredients (yields 1 Large Thin Pizza crust)
  • 2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat flour and more for dusting; all divided (Indian store bought atta works like a charm)
  • 1 packet Active Dry yeast
  • 3/4 th teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup Warm Water (It should be warm just enough so you can easily touh the water, but warmer than room temperature. If you have a kitchen thermometer, the ideal temparature is between 100-110 degrees F)
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO
  • 3 teaspoons Sugar; also divided (next time will try 2 teaspoons and post results)
Directions:
  • In a (2 cup) measuring cup, combine water and 1 tsp sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
  • In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine 2 cups whole wheat flour, salt and remaining 2 tsp sugar. Make a well in the center of the bowl and pour the yeast mixture and 1 tbsp EVOO.
  • Now begin Stirring at the Stir speed using the dough attachment, or use a rubber spatula if kneading by hand.
  • The dough should just come together, it will be very sticky at this point. Continue kneading in the mixer or by hand while adding more flour in 1 tbsp at a time (from the remaining 1/2 cup flour). Try not to exceed the 1/2 cup limit, it is easy to get carried away, cos the dough is so sticky. This should take about 3-4 minutes or make sure to knead that long to work the gluten in the dough.
  • Add only as much is needed to pull the dough away from the sides of the bowl and is no longer sticky. At this point even I like to finish by hand. Lightly oil your hand with EVOO and knead for a couple of minutes with your hand.
  • Shape dough into a ball. Lightly grease the bowl, or a separate bowl with EVOO. Also lightly grease the dough bowl, place it in the greased bowl, cover it with a kitchen towel tightly tied around the bowl, or a greaed plastic wrap.
  • Place it in a warm place to rise. I use the oven with the Oven light ON, always does the trick, especially in the cold months.
  • Let it rise for about 45 minutes to an hour, until doubled in size.
  • Punch down the risen dough, shape into a ball and place on a lightly floured pizza pan (or stone, I don't have a stone).
  • Roll it out in a circle of desired thickness, I made a thin crust large pizza. Let it rest about 10 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Add the toppings of your choice. Place the pizza in oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until crust turns golden brown and toppings are baked enough.
  • Let pizza rest for 10 minutes before serving. These were the longest 10 minutes...hubby oggled at the pizza with a timer in his hand and kept looking at it every 10 seconds..Is it up yet?? No..Is it up yet?? Nooooo..LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment