Saturday, January 5, 2013

California Frost..and a quick Healthy Breakfast idea

That is frost on the roof with a Sun Kiss in shape of an 'A'!!
California has been really chilly for the past few days. We have to literally wipe that frost off our car windshields and have been waking up to frosted rooftops every morning. This morning however, its not that chilly and there's no frost on rooftops..I kinda miss it :(..I know 'lame' as compared to other states that receive snow, but this is enough to get me excited and take pictures :D..In our defense, California receives snow too..it's just that it likes the Sierras only. Did I hear you say 'that's not CA, that's Nevada'?..Hmm, technically we share it...so yes CA gets snow.

...moving on..In addition to it being only 44º F, we literally woke up to growling tummies. Fired up the heater, and the stove. Chopped some almonds..grabbed dried blueberries, honey and some Irish oats.
4 ingredients+milk+water..Awesome!!
Disclaimer: This post isn't an advert for Trader Joe's..I haven't been approached for endorsements yet..right I wish ;)..but it just so happens that I stumbled upon the McCann's Irish oats at Trader Joe's and even found a perfect companion for it..TJ's Dried Wild Blueberries!! This is a wholesome breakfast and I thought why not share it with you all. Now, I better get a cut if sales at Trader Joe's spur up ;)

I really dislike the Quacker oats..it's instant and everything, but overly sweet, too commercialized and don't taste like oats at all. I was on a hunt for some quality oats...those were either too hard to chew or too mushy to be eaten..then these happened. It all started when we were visiting San Diego with Mom last year for a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. I had ordered a slow cooking oats with blueberries and honey for breakfast at a cafe there (don't recall the name) and really loved it. Came back home and found myself trying to recreate that magic at home. And there you have it..a piping hot bowl of lovely Oats!!
Better than the picture on the box ;)
I like the combination of Honey and Dried Wild Blueberries and how it does not need any more sugar or sweetener. Healthy, Wholesome & Growling Tummies Approved!!! 

And this is how I make it. Simply double up for two servings.

For each serving you'll need:
1/4 Cup of 2% or skim Milk
1/4 cup of Water
1 tablespoon of Honey (just a guess..this should be according to your taste. Try 1 teaspoon of brown sugar instead..tastes great!)
1 1/2 tablespoon of Wild Dried Blueberries (don't overdo it, cos then it becomes too sweet..at least for my taste)
6-7 Almonds, chopped or slivered

Simply follow the directions on the box, which is, 1 Cup of liquid for every half cup of oats.

Bring to boil, add the oats,  honey and the blueberries. Simmer it for a couple of minutes. Turn off the stove and cover it for about 5 minutes. Garnish with almonds and Serve.

I have even had it for lunch a couple of times ;)..well I have "I don't wanna cook today" days too!!! :)

Bain taitneamh as do bhéil!! And Enjoy the weekend ahead!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment